Please download the newest Minecraft Launcher off of Minecraft.net if you haven’t already. Now that you have the new launcher, please do not update until we have updated the server (assuming you want to play online). Updating the Minecraft server is a long process. Whenever a new version is released, we have to wait a day (maybe less depending on the bukkit devs) to download Craftbukkit, which is sort of like Hey0’s plugin, but operates on a much lower level, and has MANY more plugins, which we use.
Here is the exact process:
- Mojang releases an update.
- Bukkit team releases a new bukkit build
- We get new bukkit build, shut down the server, back up the worlds, and start up new bukkit build.
- Figure out which plugins are incompatible with the new bukkit build (most likely permissions)
- Update plugins
- Find out which plugins are incompatible with new version of a plugin
- Repeat steps 5&6 until everything is working
THEN we can finally use the server.
I really wish Craftbukkit would auto-update when it ran… either that or if someone would write a new plugin that would auto-update it along with any installed plugins. Hey! Maybe I should do that. 😉
Bottom line though, is if you want to play on the Minecraft server, do not update your Minecraft client until we have updated the server. (We will probably say that it’s updated in a blog post).